Plum in ORMUS

by Barry Carter

Created: September 28, 2009

Modified: September 12, 2010



In 1983 when I moved into my current house, we planted a plum tree seedling in the front yard. This seedling was originally growing near a couple of similar young plum trees in my neighbor’s yard directly to the south of my house. All of these trees produced similar plums each year. They were the same size, ripened at the same time and tasted the same.


In the spring of 2005, I began putting sea water ORMUS precipitate from on my plum tree. At the end of the first season (on October 7, 2005) I took pictures of two typical plums from my tree. I also picked a couple of plums from the plum trees in my neighbor's yard. These trees are about fifty feet from my tree but they are the same type of plum tree (Italian Prune Plums).


The two plums from my neighbor’s tree weighed 35 grams while the two from my tree weighed 61 grams.


On August 16th 2006 I noticed that the plums on my tree seemed to be full size and were starting to darken so I picked a couple of them and a couple from my neighbor’s trees for comparison. I realize that it was almost two months earlier in the season than when I picked the plums in 2005. This is probably why the two plums from my neighbor’s tree only weighed 24.7 grams.


I had to check out the plums from my tree because they looked so big. I weighed them and they weighed 129 grams. This was more than twice the weight of 2005’s plums from my tree and 3.7 times the weight of 2005’s plums from my neighbor’s tree. It was also 5.2 times the weight of my neighbor’s 2006 plums but they had not reached full size yet while the ones on my tree were much closer to full size.


In 2005 I wanted to have some way to take a picture that would show the size of the plums compared to an object that most people are familiar with so I took the picture with a couple of golf balls next to the plums. In 2006 I included the golf balls and matched their sizes so that the orange golf ball overlapped the orange golf ball in the 2005 photo. You can see the result at:


A higher resolution version of this same picture is at:


In 2007 a late spring frost nailed all of the plum trees and only a few plums survived. Not enough for a good comparison or pictures.


2008’s plum harvest was great but I did not document it very well. Here is a comparison picture from August 26:


On that same day, city workers came by to trim my tree so that it would not overhang so far into the street. I talked them into letting me take one last picture before they trimmed it back:


Here is what it looked like immediately after it was trimmed:


I continued to apply a cup of the Sea-Crop ORMUS to this tree each year after harvest.


In mid June of 2009 I noticed an incredible abundance of mushrooms under my plum tree:


I saw this as an indication that the mycorrhizal fungi in the soil were quite active in providing nutrients to the roots of my plum tree. This inspired me to do a more thorough documentation of the results for 2009. On July 26 I did the following comparison of plums that had fallen to the ground around my tree and my neighbor’s trees:


On August 4 I took the picture below:


and on August 18 I took the following comparison picture:


The August 18 picture above also included a couple of plums from a plum tree on a rental property that is a couple blocks away:


Those plums are a bit larger than my near neighbor’s plums and are on the far left of the picture above.


My plum tree started having ripe and edible plums in early September of 2009. These plums were the best I have ever tasted. They were sweet and "smooth". On September 12 I took some more comparison pictures of the plums on my tree and my neighbor's trees which did not get ORMUS. My tree is about fifty feet away from my neighbor's plum trees and both are the same type of plum.


Though my plums were ripe, I estimated that my neighbor's plums were still two weeks away from being ripe.


I was kinda pushed into documenting the plums from my tree because a couple of people had stopped and asked me if they could pick some of these plums. Six neighborhood children between the ages of six and nine also started picking plums on the 12th. Here is a picture of three of them picking:


I did not even try to keep them away.


One of the adults who asked to pick was an old friend who picked the plums in the buckets illustrated below:


I asked him to leave half the plums for another friend to pick but the other friend only picked one bucket. Four days later the first friend picked more plums from my tree. I took a second picture of the plums he picked:


These two pictures probably represent about three quarters of the plums on this tree. Notice that I threw in a golf ball or two so you can see that they are all quite large.


I asked him to pick some of the largest plums from the top layer of these buckets and he grabbed three. The largest of these is in the following picture which compares its size and weight to three plums I picked on the same day from my neighbor's tree (which is 50 feet from mine):


My neighbor's plums still weren't ripe.


Several people asked if there were any other factors that might account for the greater size and abundance of plums on my tree. They asked if I was giving my tree more water or any other fertilizer. I did not use any fertilizer on my tree. I don’t think my neighbor did either. To illustrate how much water my tree got I took some pictures. Notice the dried grass under my tree?


This is evidence that I did not water my tree as much as my neighbors watered theirs as you can see at:


I also found some plums at the Baker Food Coop from an orchard nearby in Richland, Oregon. Richland is 1200 feet lower elevation than Baker City and usually supports the growth of fruits that don't do as well here. For comparison, I put together another picture of one plum I picked from my tree and two of the plums from Richland:


Notice that my single plum weighs more than the two plums from the professional organic grower in Richland.


On September 28, my near neighbor’s trees finally were starting to get a few ripe plums. Here is a picture of a couple of the largest of these plums with weight:


The plums on the tree at the rental house were also just starting to ripen as you can see at:


On October 1, 2009 the weather started getting much cooler. Instead of 70-80 degrees during the day, we were getting 50-60 degree days. We had a couple of freezing nights in the week following. On October third we even got a bit of snow, but it did not stick. This probably slowed down the ripening of the plums on my neighbor’s tree and the tree at my rental house.


In the first picture linked in this article:


I took my first pictures of plums from my tree on October 7, 2005. So I decided to wait till October 7, 2009 to take more pictures of my neighbor’s plums and the plums at my rental house. Since the only plums I still had from my tree had been dried or made into jam:


I could not make a timely comparison to my plums. Consequently, here are two pictures, one of my neighbor’s plums and the other of the plums from my rental house. (I picked the largest plums I could find for comparison in each instance):


Remember that these plums were picked 28 days (four weeks) after the first ripe plums from my tree were picked.


I finally got pictures of some totally ripe plums from my neighbor’s trees and my rental tree on October 13 and 14. These pictures can be seen at:


On October 8 I also took a comparison picture of the seeds from all three trees:


As you can see from the illustrations and measurements above, the Italian Prune Plums on my tree (which were given about a cup of Sea-Crop ORMUS once per year after harvest) are typically about twice the size of other Italian Prune Plums in Eastern Oregon, when ripe. They also ripen two to four weeks earlier than other Italian Prune Plum trees in my neighborhood. Most people who tasted them have also commented on their extra sweetness and smoothness. They are not as tart as other plums.


This story continues at: